Sunday, March 2, 2014

On writing and stuff and crap

Okay, I was a little hesitant at first when my friend, Suzanne de Montigney, asked me to participate in this new blog hop. No one wants to read about writing. But, then I thought, what the hey, it's my blog, I'll bore anyone I care to. Selfish that way.

So, as per Suzanne http://suzannesthoughtsfortheday.blogspot.ca, here are my thoughts about writing. Strap in folks, things are about to get pompous.

1) What am I working on?

I have a darkly comical serial killer thriller on board. Also an epic ghost tale taking place alternately in 1935 and 1969. And, hey, let's not forget my take on zombies. I'm hesitant to talk too much about plots, as I like to toss around the unexpected.

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Well, I have a bad boy sense of humor. It comes out in every book, no matter how dark the subject matter. Can't help myself. Class clown, still haven't grown up.

3) Why do I write what I do?

Because I live in Godforsaken Kansas, that's why! Kansas is creepy; crazy politics, spooky geography, terrifying people. Perfectly fertile fodder for fiction. But you just watch, folks. Someday I'll escape Midwest Heck.

4) How does your writing process work?

Weird question. First, I need a cup of coffee. Strong stuff. Position it just right on the desktop. Inch it around a little bit. There. Looks good, tastes better. Wait. Maybe just another nudge. I think that's it. Looks almost even, not quite. Push. A finger scooch. Crap. Now it's way overly-balanced on the other side.

This could go on all night, so let's get on with it.

When I open a blank page in Microsoft Word, it's terrifying. Each time I wonder if I'll be able to write a book. I'm a notorious "pantser (for those unfamiliar with the term, it means making it up on the fly)." Yet, I like to have the crutch of post-it notes, a simple sentence on each one, stating where I'm headed next. "Karl finds out he has a venereal disease." Something like that. Then I write like the wind.The fun part. It's the rewriting that takes twice as long. Once I get inside a character's mind-set, it's easy. They talk to me, carrying the tale along with their various quirks and foibles. Yes, I'm insane.

There you have it, folks. Boring? You bet! Interesting? Not by a long-shot! Self-indulgent? Sure, sue me.

So now I'm passing it on. Here are three writers worth your bucks and time.

Meradeth Houston: Her "sary" books are an extremely entertaining YA fantasy, romance series. Not only can Meradeth weave an awesome tale, she knows how to involve the reader with deeply felt emotion. Colors Like Memories should be your kick-off point.

Jeff Chapman:  No insult to Jeff's manhood, but the dude sure writes pretty. And spooky. An unbeatable combination. Check out his Highway 24. Drop in on The Crooked House of Coins. The guy's on fire.

Michael Beyer: Here's a writer everyone should be reading, no excuses. Michael's Catch A Falling Star charmed the pants off of me (NOT a pretty sight). It's a nostalgic, warm, amusing sci-fi tale, not unlike one of Spielberg's better, earlier films. Great things are going to come from him and I can't wait to read his next book.

Boom! I'm outta here. But not before leaving you with one last link. Ah, I'll make it easy on you. My Amazon page:  http://www.amazon.com/Stuart-R.-West/e/B00B419X5C



2 comments:

  1. Let's hear it for the pansters! :) Thanks for the shout-out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. I'll run with the torch next week. That blank screen terrifies me too. I have to start on paper. That way I always have something to type and spiral notebooks don't have access to email, twitter, or facebook.

    ReplyDelete