Thursday, February 6, 2014

It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

Living in suburban Kansas is dangerous. We have bears. Couple of burly gay guys down the street. Well, they're not threatening, but still, we have bears.

Two houses down the street there's a little yappy dog, no bigger than a bowling ball. Squeaks all the time, won't shut up, you'd think his tail was on fire. To make matters worse, the dog's owners named it "Sassy." That's  reinforcing the worst behavior possible. Shall we call Charles Manson "spunky?" Same thing.

Neighbors are funny. You can't escape 'em. And you sure don't sign up for 'em. The beeyotch caddy-corner to me despises our dog because he barks on occasion. Doesn't stop her from squeaking her damn dog-toy constantly and cooing at her dog in baby-speak at the top of her lungs ("Who's a good girl? You are, that's who! Come here, sweetums! Mommy has a present for you!" On and on and on.).  "Captain America" behind the fence constantly barbeques in his T-shirt. When he really cuts loose, he brings out his speakers and cranks out some "Journey." His eight-track tape collection probably should be retired. On the other hand, "Party Animal's" awesome. 'Cause I never see her. I hear her once a month, shrieking like a banshee on her deck at three in the morning. That's okay, though. I'm forgiving. Part of being a member of suburbia.

Who I can't forgive are the neighbors across the street. For unknown reasons, the wife totally shuns us. Turns her back on us, ignores our greetings, pretends like we don't exist. Her husband (scary, hulking, shaved headed guy) "seems" nice enough, yet...something's weird.

Got me thinking. And that's always dangerous. What if the heinous woman across the street has a secret? A secret life. Something that's worth killing for.

My first adult thriller, Neighborhood Watch, is based on this premise. Yeah, it's me as the main character. That's why I didn't run it by my wife first. Don't know if she'll like it. But tales have to be told. I'm Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window watching the neighbors. Toss in a little Stepford Wives and Rosemary's Baby and we're set. Suburbia's creepy.

Bottom line...you cross me, you're gonna' end up in a book.

I'm putting the teenage characters to bed. Turn off the lights, put the kids outside, and tuck in the cat. Thing's are gonna' get spooky.

Neighborhood Watch: http://www.amazon.com/Neighborhood-Watch-Stuart-R-West-ebook/dp/B00IA6ZTIO/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391727968&sr=1-4&keywords=neighborhood+watch

Now at an incredibly low price! Some chills to take off the winter's edge! Be there!

5 comments:

  1. I'll be downloading this shortly--can't wait! And I think you need to wear one of those shirts that says "warning: you may end up in my book" just as a public service announcement. Just sayin'... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, Meradeth? I really, REALLY like the idea of that t-shirt. I'm on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second the motion on that shirt. Cool. Clever. --just like Stuart, right? :D

      Delete
  3. I've got you beat, I think. A neighbor across the street got drunk one night and tried to pound our back door down and I was half a world away in Asia. My wife called the police. Bought your book this morning. Looks like some sort of ghost on the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would definitely be a ghost on the cover, Jeff. But enough about that. How'd the drunken, pounding neighbor incident end?

      Delete