Friday, July 17, 2020

Art is Anal!

Well, maybe not all of it, but definitely some is.

Wait, here...let me illustrate my point:
See what I mean? My awesome brother-in-law sent this to me and it took me forever to even figure out it's supposed to read "artisanal." So...whoever the graphic designer is on this logo should probably be fired. Or he's giggling all the way to the bank.

Having been a graphic designer for twenty some years, it's a major gripe when I see the misuse of fonts. Just because someone's found a snappy font on their computer does not mean you have to use it.

Here's another fine example. My wife and I had a hankering for some Povitica, so we thought, "Hey, let's go check out the Strawberry Hill Povitica shop here in Kansas. We'll make out like greedy bandits on the samples!" Great idea. Except we never found the damn store.

Wanna know why? HERE'S why!
That logo's impossible to read even though we drove right past the store at least three times! Plus some genius put it in black against a green background. Certainly screams "strawberries," doesn't it?

Really gets my goat. Here, for your viewing pleasure, are several other logos. And they're all real!
Um. Oh, I see it's for a Swedish property management company named "Locum." Only in Sweden, am I right?
Well, this is certainly an interesting choice.
This of course is for Clinical Dental where the dentists supply that extra touch.
Here's the cute logo for "Mont-Sat," where the technicians are excited to serve your needs.
I don't even want to know what goes on in this store.
I'll just bet they do.
And finally, we have the logo for the Institute of Oriental Studies where they really put it to their students. Or something. Proving, once and for all, my theory that art is anal.

You know, they say "art is in the eye of the beholder." But what if the beholders are all a bunch of perverts?

Speaking of perverse things, there's plenty of that to be found in my short story collection, Twisted Tales from Tornado Alley. Check it out!





No comments:

Post a Comment